Anyone with can now sign up for the Kensington Police Department Neighborhood Watch list on our website. To sign up for the Kensington Police Department Neighborhood Watch list, please submit your request using our Contact Form.
Neighborhood Watch is a crime prevention program designed to increase neighborhood livability by reducing crime and the fear of crime through education and communication. Just as important, Neighborhood Watch helps build a sense of connectedness on your block as you become familiar with your neighbors and the activities on your block.
By organizing Neighborhood Watch on your block you will:
- Be able to recognize and report suspicious activity
- Learn ways to increase your home’s security
- Benefit from a block map and telephone tree system
- Be part of a positive relationship with your neighbors and the Police Department
Have an Officer Speak to Your Group
If your Neighborhood Group would like an officer to come to your home and speak about Public Safety, Crime Prevention and Neighborhood Watch, please contact the Kensington Police Department at (510) 526-4141..
What are the major components of Neighborhood Watch?
Communication: A quick phone call, email or simple block newsletter are different ways to stay in touch with your neighbors. The way you communicate is not as important as just making the effort to share info about what is happening on the block and letting each other know when something or someone is out of place. Communication with the Police Department is also important.
Neighborhood Meetings: Regular get-together's can prove useful. You can have them bi-monthly or quarterly. The purpose is to have an opportunity to discuss what is going on in the area and express any concerns you may have.
Neighborhood Watch Patrol: Neighbors may choose to team up to walk, bike or drive through the neighborhood and alert police to crime and suspicious activities.
Special Events: Keep the neighborhood going and growing with fun activities that bring you and your neighbors together. Events don't have to be large-scale productions! They can be block parties, such as National Night Out, or they could be opportunities to spruce up the neighborhood park. Call the Kensington Police Department at (510) 526-4141..
Maintaining Your Neighborhood
To enhance the effectiveness of Neighborhood Watch on your block:
- Keep the lines of communication open. Knowledge helps build awareness.
- Hold regular meetings or events. They serve as opportunities to keep you and your neighborhood connected. A united neighborhood experiences fewer crime problems.
- Update all neighborhood information at least once a year. Take the opportunity to update the list if a new neighbor joins or if a neighbor moves away.
For more Neighborhood Watch Tips, Click Here.
Emergency Notifications from the Contra Costa County Sheriff's Office
Anyone with a phone can receive voice alerts from Contra Costa County Sheriff's office. To sign up for the alert notification, please Click Here.