SHELTER IN PLACE ORDER ISSUED
As of 1:00 p.m. today (March 16, 2020) Contra Costa County has joined five other Bay Area counties in issuing an order requesting that residents shelter in place, with the exception of those seeking or providing essential services. The order takes effect at 12:01a.m. March 17, 2020.
Those businesses listed as ‘essential services, businesses or infrastructure’ would include the following:
• Healthcare Operations and Essential Infrastructure;
• Grocery stores, certified farmers’ markets, farm and produce stands, supermarkets, food banks, convenience stores, and other establishments engaged in the retail sale of canned food, dry goods, fresh fruits and vegetables, pet supply, fresh meats, fish, and poultry, and any other household consumer products (such as cleaning and personal care products). This includes stores that sell groceries and also sell other nongrocery products, and products necessary to maintaining the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences;
• Food cultivation, including farming, livestock, and fishing;
• Businesses that provide food, shelter, and social services, and other necessities of life for economically disadvantaged or otherwise needy individuals;
• Newspapers, television, radio, and other media services;
• Gas stations and auto-supply, auto-repair, and related facilities;
• Banks and related financial institutions;
• Hardware stores;
• Plumbers, electricians, exterminators, and other service providers who provide services that are necessary to maintaining the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences, Essential Activities, and Essential Businesses;
• Businesses providing mailing and shipping services, including post office boxes;
• Educational institutions—including public and private K-12 schools, colleges, and universities—for purposes of facilitating distance learning or performing essential functions, provided that social distancing of six-feet per person is maintained to the greatest extent possible;
• Laundromats, drycleaners, and laundry service providers;
A detailed explanation of the order and FAQs on the shelter in place order can be found at www.cchealth.org.